Review - The Batman (2022)

        Hey guys, Chuck here. Well, it's been a while, but I'm back. And what better movie to review than the new movie The Batman: co-written and directed by Matt Reeves, and starring Robert Pattinson, Zoe Kravitz, Paul Dano, Jeffrey Wright, John Tuturro, Colin Farrell, and Andy Serkis, with a minor cameo by Barry Keoghan. I just went to see the movie at my local movie theater, and I definitely enjoyed it. So, let's discuss the new movie The Batman

       So, the movie opens in Gotham, at a point when Bruce Wayne has been active as the Batman for about two years. Now, Batman is forced to contend with a mysterious serial killer known as The Riddler, who is stacking up a body count of corrupt city leaders with ties to Gotham mob boss Carmine Falcone. In his pursuit of the Riddler, Batman also crosses paths with Falcone's top lieutenant Oswald Cobblepot aka the Penguin, and also meets Selina Kyle aka Catwoman. With the aid of police lieutenant Jim Gordon and Bruce's butler Alfred Pennyworth, will Batman be able to stop the Riddler and bring him to justice? You're just going to have to see the movie yourself to find out. 

        Now, I'm just going to start off by saying that I've been a massive Batman fan since childhood. Hell, I used to watch Batman: The Animated Series back in the 90's every Saturday morning, and I've played the Batman: Arkham video game series. I love Batman that much. So, with that in mind, what did I think of this movie? Well, I absolutely loved it. While it was easily one of the longest and darkest Batman movies I've ever seen, I think that Matt Reeves made a film that EARNED the right to be called a Batman movie. He did that great a job with it. 

       Now, as far as the cast goes, I think that Robert Pattinson is quite honestly the best Batman we've had since Michael Keaton. I still think Keaton's Batman is better, but Pattinson is definitely a very close second. So, that means that I enjoy Robert Pattinson's version of Batman more than the ones portrayed by Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, AND Ben Affleck. Yeah, I said it, fans of Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder. I think Robert Pattinson is a better Batman than BOTH Christian Bale AND Ben Affleck. 

           As far as the rest of the cast goes, Zoe Kravitz is definitely my new favorite version of Catwoman. She definitely had big shoes to fill, and she brought a personality to Catwoman that I absolutely loved. Paul Dano was definitely an interesting version of the Riddler, and is definitely different from the more narcissistic version we've seen in other adaptations of the character, and I definitely enjoyed him more than whatever the hell Jim Carrey was doing in Batman Forever. Colin Farrell was really good as the Penguin. Even under all of the makeup, he still gives a stellar performance. I also enjoyed Jeffrey Wright as Jim Gordon and Andy Serkis as Alfred. Both brought something different from past iterations, but were still those characters at the core. Lastly, John Tuturro was excellent as Carmine Falcone. I was concerned going into this movie, especially since we didn't see Falcone in any of the ads for the movie, but he was a memorable addition to this movie. 

         Now, as far as the design of the Batsuit and the Batmobile are concerned, I really liked them both. The suit is definitely functional, and also feels more like the Batsuit than the ones we had in the Dark Knight Trilogy. Same goes with the Batmobile. Yes, it looks like just a regular sports car, but it also has a kick-ass design that is unique, and stands out from anything we've seen before. Finally, I want to discuss the score for this movie. Michael Giacchino is quickly showing that he is definitely one of the best film composers of this generation. I mean, this guy has worked on franchises like Mission: Impossible, Star Trek, Star Wars, Jurassic World, Spider-Man, and now Batman. The music in this movie was definitely a stand-out for me, and I would definitely listen to it on YouTube if I got the chance. 

      Overall, I thoroughly loved The Batman. Not only did Matt Reeves meet my expectations for this movie, he exceeded them by miles. I absolutely loved the fact that it was more focused on the mystery angle and not the superhero angle, because Batman is the World's Greatest Detective, and we actually see him being a detective in this movie. I'm giving The Batman a rating of 5/5. Now, before I wrap up, I would like to mention the Barry Keoghan cameo I mentioned before. Now, the character is credited as "Unnamed Arkham Inmate," but if you're a hardcore fan of Batman like I am, you'll know exactly who Barry Keoghan is supposed to be in this movie. Again, it's only a brief scene, but it's not hard to figure out who he is. 

      So, this is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)