Review - Uncharted (2022)

         Hey guys, Chuck here. Uncharted is the new action-adventure treasure hunt movie based on the popular video game franchise produced by Naughty Dog, and marks the first feature film from Playstation Productions. 

        So the movie follows Nathan Drake, and showcases his first encounter with his longtime friend and mentor Victor "Sully" Sullivan. The two are ultimately after the lost treasure of Ferdinand Magellan, which Sully had previously been searching for along with Nate's older brother Sam. With assistance from Chloe Frazer, Nate and Sully must find the clues and locate the treasure before villains like Santiago Moncada and Jo Braddock can get their hands on it. 

       Okay, so let's start with the obvious. I honestly wasn't sure about Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg as Nate and Sully. However, I will admit that the dynamic between the two is just as fun here as it was in the games. I also enjoyed Sophia Ali as Chloe, who is definitely a fun addition to this movie. Where I feel the casting fell apart was with the villains. Don't get me wrong, Antonio Banderas is awesome, and Tati Gabrielle is very talented, but the villains felt very cookie cutter and generic for me, they didn't feel like they fit in the Uncharted universe at all. 

           The story honestly felt the same way. Don't get me wrong, as far as a treasure hunt movie goes, it's serviceable at best, but it definitely comes off as too similar to stuff like Indiana Jones or National Treasure, and I feel the movie could have done more to feel like it could be an Uncharted story to me. Lastly, I didn't like the change to the game's established lore, as Nate gets the ring from his brother Sam in this movie, but in the game Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception he gets it from a nautical museum, where it's displayed along with Sir Francis Drake's other belongings, and it was while casing the museum that Nate, as a child, meets Sully. I mean, if you've never played the games, this won't bother you, but if you're a hardcore fan of the games, you will definitely see this deviation in the backstory already established in the games. 

          The action, however, is definitely the film's strong point. Uncharted definitely is action packed, and the action scenes are definitely a lot of fun to watch. Another highlight of the movie is a brief cameo by Nolan North, who voiced Nate in the video games. I utterly geeked out when I saw Nolan show up, and I am glad that he got to make a cameo. 

         Overall, I definitely recommend this movie for casual audiences who enjoy action packed treasure hunt movies like Indiana Jones and National Treasure. You don't need to have played the games to appreciate this movie. However, if you are a fan of the games, you're probably going to just find it.mildly entertaining. I'm going to give Uncharted a rating of 4.05/5. This is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)