Review - Coyote vs. Acme (2026)
Hey guys, Chuck here, and it's finally arrived. Coyote vs. Acme, the Looney Tunes courtroom comedy directed by Dave Green, based on an article in The New Yorker, and starring Will Forte, Lana Condor, Luis Guzman, and John Cena. Now, it goes without saying that this movie had quite the odyssey in getting to the screen, but we'll get to that in a moment. Let's talk about the plot of Coyote vs. Acme.
So, the movie follows an Albuquerque based lawyer named Kevin Avery, along with his niece Paige, as the.two.work to represent Wile E. Coyote in a lawsuit against the Acme Corporation, represented by their lawyer Buddy Crane, in regards to defective products the.company sold in Wile E.'s efforts to catch the Road Runner.
Now, such a hilarious sounding movie should've been a must for Warner Bros. However, in the midst of David Zaslav's run of canceling film releases for a tax write-off, fans of Looney Tunes made him stop when it came to this movie. So, while he still refused to release it through Warner Bros., Zaslav allowed the film to be shopped around to other studios. Enter Ketchup Entertainment, who released last year's Looney Tunes comedy The Day the Earth Blew Up to promising success, and acquired distribution for Coyote vs. Acme, which is where we are today.
With that being said, I will say that Coyote vs. Acme is possibly the funniest movie I have seen this year. Will Forte was excellent as Kevin, and I thoroughly enjoyed his scenes with both Wile E. Coyote and Paige, the latter of whom was portrayed brilliantly by Lana Condor. For what little role he had, I did have a few good chuckles with Luiz Guzman as the judge presiding over the lawsuit. And, John Cena as Acme lawyer Buddy Crane was hilarious in how straight he played into it.
But, the real stars here are the Looney Tunes. Of course, based on the title, both Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote are in the movie. But, several other Looney Tunes show up as well, including Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tasmanian Devil as Acme's head of PR, Foghorn Leghorn as the CEO of Acme, Tweety as an Acme spy, Porky Pig, Witch Hazel, Granny, Sylvester, and even the Looney Tunes character based on actor Peter Lorre. Just seeing the Looney Tunes on the big screen again was a lot of fun, and I was so happy to see the characters I loved since childhood. And, not only did it feel like the Looney Tunes were drawn to fit into a live-action world, with the cel shading matching the lighting for the most part, but the typical physics of a Looney Tunes cartoon played with the live-action world in a way that was hysterical, and that goes especially for when we see the Road Runner going at top speed.
The writing by Samy Burch, who crafted the story along with Jeremy Slater and James Gunn, was absolutely brilliant. The humor throughout feels like classic Looney Tunes humor, and it was had to contain my laughter in the theater, and I think the audience at my screening felt the same way. Combine that with the directing by Dave Green, and you have arguably the best Looney Tunes movie I have seen. Yes, better than the '90s classic Space Jam. On top of that, I rocked out during the end credits when the song "I Fought the Law" by The Clash played.
Honestly, I can't believe that Warner Bros. didn't want to release this movie and tried to bury it for a tax write-off. This movie was a ton of fun, and was a truly fantastic love letter to fans of the Looney Tunes. See it once. See it twice. Heck, see it a dozen times. Just, go see Coyote vs. Acme, as it's a laugh-out-loud worthwhile time at the theater made FOR Looney Tunes fans BY Looney Tunes fans.
Alright guys, this is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you in the next review.
Comments
Post a Comment