Top 5 Favorite Marvel Movie Villains

           Hey guys, Chuck here. And just for fun, I wanted to do a list of my Top 5 Favorite Marvel Movie Villains. I previously did a similar list regarding my favorite Batman villains, now I want to get into it with my favorite villains from Marvel movies, and not exclusively the Marvel Cinematic Universe. So, here we go. 

    

           5. Hela from Thor: Ragnarok - portrayed by Cate Blanchett, Hela is the Goddess of Death, and in the movies is Odin's first born child. What I loved about her is that, for a time, she was Odin's right-hand loyal commander, but he would have a change of heart, leading the two to having a falling out that ended with her being banished to another dimension. I like how she is a warrior first, but is bloodthirsty and hungry for war and domination of all the realms that she's literally one of Thor's more dangerous adversaries. I mean, she took out all but one of the Valkyries, for crying out loud. That shows how dangerous she really is. 

        4. Wilson Fisk from Daredevil and Hawkeye - Okay, while not having been in a movie yet, Vincent D'Onofrio's portrayal of Wilson Fisk is iconic. He's level headed and reasonable one minute, and violent and full of rage the next. I mean, this guy has faced off against the likes of Matt Murdock, Frank Castle, and Kate Bishop. And I definitely look forward to his return in both Echo and Daredevil: Born Again. 

        3. Sebastian Shaw from X-Men: First Class - portrayed by Kevin Bacon, Shaw is a truly powerful mutant who can prolong his life by absorbing energy. Any blast he can use to keep himself alive, and he can even concentrate it into a single target, killing them. When we meet Shaw, he's a doctor working with the Nazis at Auschwitz, and he discovers the powerful abilities of a young mutant in the camp: Erik Lensherr. Later, we see Shaw as leader of a group of mutants known as the Hellfire Club. I like the idea of having a mutant be the cause of Erik Lensherr's decent into becoming the renegade mutant Magneto, and Kevin Bacon just eats up every minute he's on screen with phenomenal acting. Seriously, I hope that Kevin Feige of Marvel Studios brings Kevin Bacon back as Shaw in a future MCU movie involving the X-Men, because that would be cool. 

         2. Thanos from the Marvel Cinematic Universe - portrayed by Josh Brolin, this cosmic tyrant was a major looming threat throught The Infinity Saga in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. His quest to gather the Infinity Stones was one of selfless desire to bring balance to the universe. His method of wiping out half of the population of the universe was beyond wrong, but what he was doing wasn't selfish. Unlike in the comics, where it was to please Mistress Death, but it didn't work. Josh Brolin bring a genuine gravitas to the character, and is definitely an iconic Marvel villain. 

        Real quick, before I reveal my Number One pick, here are a few Honorable Mentions:

       * Doctor Doom (Julian McMahon) from Fantastic 4

      * En Sabah Nur/Apocalypse (Oscar Isaac) from X-Men: Apocalypse

      * Cletus Cassidy/Carnage (Woody Harrelson) from Venom: Let There be Carnage

      * Ego (Kurt Russell) from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

      * N'Jadaka/Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan) from Black Panther 

         1. Norman Osborn/Green Goblin from Spider-Man and Spider-Man: No Way Home - portrayed by Willem Dafoe, Green Goblin is still the gold standard for Marvel Movie Villains, in my opinion. While some may not have liked the helmet design due to it feeling a little too much like something out of Power Rangers, it's still really menacing and very effective. Now, regardless of that, Willem Dafoe is the definitive version of the Green Goblin. Much like Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger as the Joker, Willem Dafoe is definitely amazing as the Green Goblin, portraying both sides of his personality effectively.


         And there we are, my Top 5 Favorite Marvel Movie Villains. Hope you guys enjoyed going through my list. Now, I must iterate that this is entirely based on my personal opinion, and is not a reflection of anyone involved with the characters listed, whether it's actors, writers, or even directors. And if course, I will acknowledge that not everyone else's lists will reflect my list, because everyone will have a different opinion from me. 

        Anyway, this is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)