Review - Borderlands (2024)

        Hey guys, Chuck here. Well, I made it home from my L.A. trip, which was a ton of fun. But, there's a new movie out this weekend, so I'm here to review it. So, here we go. My review of Borderlands, based on the video game series of the same name. This movie was directed by Eli Roth, and stars Cate Blanchett, Kevin Hart, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ariana Greenblatt, Florian Munteanu, Gina Gershon, and the voice of Jack Black. 

        So, Borderlands follows a ragtag group of misfits, led by a woman named Lilith, as they traverse a rugged and deadly planet to reach a Vault, with the help of Tiny Tina, who is the daughter of a very powerful figure in  the universe named Atlas. 

      Okay, so while the movie Borderlands wasn't exactly great, I'll be damned if it wasn't a fun time. This movie is just a blast to watch, and I had a ton of fun with it. Now, just because it was fun, doesn't mean it was good, let alone great. It was okay at best, and a ton of fun to watch. The performances were a mixed bag, with Kevin Hart, Ariana Greenblatt, Florian Munteanu, and Gina Gershon giving my favorite performances as Rolan, Tiny Tina, Kreig, and Moxxie. Edgar Ramirez, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Janina Gavankar were all decent as Atlas, Tannis, and Knoxx. But, for me, it was Cate Blanchett as Lilith that genuinely stood out to me, as she definitely owned the screen with her badass performance. Unfortunately, Jack Black as Claptrap, while funny in small doses, did get a bit annoying the more his shtick went on. 

       Visually, the world of Borderlands looks amazing. Eli Roth really took this world and made it really stands out in a cinematic way. But, I'm coming into this movie as someone who never played a Borderlands game, so I don't know how it translated from game to screen. The costume design, especially the masks won by the Psychos, was pretty spot on from what little of the games I'vs seen. So, while I can't judge this movie in terms of how is stands alongside the games, I can judge it as a movie. And, the best way to describe the movie Borderlands is "Guardians of the Galaxy meets Mad Max on Crack." Is it anything groundbreaking? No. Was I entertained? Yes. So, I'm giving Borderlands a rating of 3/5. 

       Alright guys, this is Chuck signing off, and I will see you guys in my next review, which will be The Bourne Identity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)