Review - Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration (2022)

        Hey guys, Chuck here, and last night I got the chance to watch Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration on ABC. As of this morning, it is available to stream on Disney+ and Hulu, so if you missed out last night, definitely give it a watch on either of those two platforms. 

       So, obviously, this marks the second time Disney has done a live-action/animation special of one of their classics, as 2019 saw them do the same with The Little Mermaid, and of course I had my thoughts on that, you can check out my review of it from back in November 2019 for my opinion there. As far as this Beauty and the Beast one goes, it's a definite improvement over the one for The Little Mermaid back in 2019. For example, we see a more seamless back-and-forth between the live musical/dance segments and the original animated film. On top of that, we get far more of the live musical/dance moments here than we did for The Little Mermaid. 

       Okay, so what about the performances? Well, let's start off with Belle. R&B musician H.E.R. was excellent as Belle, and I'm not just saying that because she hails from my hometown of Vallejo, CA. She was just a joy to watch throughout the special, and she definitely has some genuine singing and acting chops. Plus, I loved when she brought out the electric guitar at the end during a rendition of the title song. Josh Groban, likewise, was excellent as the Beast. And, okay, yeah the look of the Beast costume was a bit silly and over-the-top, but it works better than a fur suit. Just saying, it could have been worse. 

       I also thoroughly enjoyed the trio of David Alan Grier, Martin Short, and Shania Twain as Cogsworth, Lumiere, and Mrs. Potts. Also, I appreciated the tribute to the late Angela Lansbury at the end of Shania's rendition of the title song "Beauty and the Beast." Jon Jon Briones was a delight as Maurice, and definitely got a lot of the mannerisms from the animated version down perfectly. 

         One thing I also enjoyed was that the special had exclusive behind the scenes segments from the original animated film, including VO sessions with the actors, early animatics, and so on. Disney genuinely sought to make this a celebration of thirty years of Beauty and the Beast, and they definitely succeeded. All in all, I definitely enjoyed this special, and highly suggest checking it out on Disney+ and on Hulu. 

      Alrighty, guys, this is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you guys tomorrow for my next 12 Reviews of Christmas review: Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)