Review - Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

           Hey guys, Chuck here, and I just went to see the new movie Black Panther: Wakanda Forever , the newest film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This movie is the sequel to the 2018 film Black Panther, and sees the African nation of Wakanda, still mourning the loss of King T'Challa, facing a new threat from Namor and his people from the Mesoamerican undersea kingdom of Talokan. 

         Now, one thing that I was most concerned about was how Marvel and director Ryan Coogler would handle the death of actor Chadwick Boseman, who of course portrayed T'Challa throughout Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And, I think their handling of his passing was very tasteful, and the way they went about writing T'Challa out of the franchise was very powerful and I absolutely love how they did it. I won't lie, I definitely shed a few tears watching the opening segment of the movie. 

         I also like how several supporting players from Wakanda, such as M'Baku, Okoye, Ayo, and Nakia all got to stand out a lot more in this movie. But, the true shining star was T'Challa's sister Shuri, and I gotta give it to actress Letitia Wright for being a real trooper and being the front and center hero of this movie. 

        I also thoroughly enjoyed the introduction of new characters such as Riri Williams/Ironheart and, of course, Namor. Both Dominique Thorne and Tenoch Huerta were real highlights for me, and I definitely want to see more of them in future MCU projects. And I will say that Marvel made a good call in giving Namor and his kingdom of Talokan a Mesoamerican background, as it definitely sets itself apart from DC, Aquaman, and their version of Atlantis. 

          To, me, however, the strongest point in Wakanda Forever is the writing. Director Ryan Coogler and co-screenwriter Joe Robert Cole definitely made what is my favorite superhero movie of 2022, and possibly one of the best Phase Four MCU films. The way they handled the passing of Chadwick Boseman was very tasteful, and the way they've made it possible for Wakanda to move forward in the MCU was brilliant. Therefore, I am giving Black Panther: Wakanda Forever a rating of 5/5. This is Chuck signing off, and I will see you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)