Review - Prey (2022)

        Hey guys, Chuck here, and this is my quick review of Prey, the newest chapter in the long-running Predator franchise. This movie, currently streaming on Hulu, was directed by 10 Cloverfield Lane director Dan Trachtenberg and stars Amber Midthunder as Naru, a young Native American woman who discovers the arrival of a member of the Predator species that arrives on Earth in the year 1719. With help from her dog, who is her main companion throughout the movie, Naru must track, outlast, and eventually defeat the deadly hunter from another world. And you guys will have to watch the movie yourselves to find out. 

         Now, I will agree with what everyone else whose seen this movie has been saying: Amber Midthunder as Naru is easily the best part of the movie. Not only is she the most prominent character of the movie, but she definitively carries every scene that she appears on screen in. I mean, honestly Amber Midthunder is terrific  in this movie. I also like how Dan Trachtenberg really draws out the various shots and scenic views in the movie. Now, while the movie isn't very heavy on dialogue, the visual storytelling with plenty of quiet moments and time to really take in the scenery is definitely fantastic. 

        Conversely, however, I do have to agree that the computer effects used for the Predator's cloak are a little unpolished. That's not to say they're bad, per se, just needing a bit more refinement. Now, while I feel that way, I will acknowledge that, due to how far back in the timeline of the Predator series this movie is set in, it's possible that the technology that the Predators use in the series is, itself, still in early phase. So, as time advances, so does the technology. So, while it's not my favorite, I do give it a mild pass. Overall though, really good movie. Quite honestly the best Predator movie since the original with Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'm giving Prey a rating of 4.74/5. Definitely  good, and I recommend watching it, but as said, the visual effects needed a bit more of a final polish to make it better. 

          This is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)