Review - Ms. Marvel (2022)

          Hey guys, Chuck here. Well, I thought I'd give some quick thoughts on the Disney+ original series Ms. Marvel. 

          Based on the character of the same name, the series stars Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American teenage girl who upon trying on a mystical family heirloom, a bangle to be exact, is granted the special ability to project hard light constructs. Now, Kamala must learn about the nature of her abilities, as she comes into conflict with a group known as the Clandestine, who are trying to return to a dimension called Noor, as well as the Department of Damage Control, who are actively working to contain anything involving superhumans. Throughout her journey, Kamala learns that her great-grandmother was once part of the Clandestine but left during the Partition of India in the mid-1940's. Kamala also meets the Red Daggers, a clan dedicated to stopping the Clandestine from achieving their goal, because doing so would mean the end of our world. 

          Okay, so easily the best thing about this series is Kamala Khan, and Iman Vellani does a really great job bringing the character to life. The dynamic between Kamala and her family is easily one of the biggest highlights of the series. I also like how Kamala, just like the comics, is a fan girl of the heroes of the Marvel Universe, with her biggest idol being Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel. In fact, one really neat moment in the series is when Kamala's father reveals that her first name translates to "Marvel," thus inspiring her superhero name Ms. Marvel. 

         Now, it's been a bit since I watched the series, but I do find myself comparing the plan of the Clandestine to that of Wenwu from Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Both the Clandestine and Wenwu seek to accomplish their goal, but are ignorant of the fact that attaining that goal would lead to chaos, destruction, and death. Throughout the series, the Clandestine seek to return to their home dimension of Noor, but doing so would cause the Noor dimension to bleed into our dimension, and therefore destroy it in the process. 

         Now, while I didn't absolutely love this series, I did enjoy it thoroughly. It was definitely cute and tons of fun, with a very bubbly, likeable lead star, but it definitely skews much younger than most MCU projects. But like I said, I really liked Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan, and I look forward to seeing her share the screen with Brie Larson's Carol Danvers in the upcoming film The Marvels. For now, I'm giving Ms. Marvel a rating of 4.85/5. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but it could've easily been something for kids on the Disney Channel. 

         Anyway, this is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)