Review - Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)

           Hey guys, Chuck here, and I just got home from seeing Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore. This is the latest entry in the Wizarding World film series, and is directed once again by David Yates. 

        So, the movie starts off with Albus Dumbledore in a restaurant having tea, and it's here where he sits down for a conversation with dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald. After this conversation with the two, we head to the jungles of China, where Newt Scamander goes to find and rescue a very powerful and very sacred magical creature called a Qilin (despite the spelling, it's pronounced "Chillin"), but the newborn Qilin is taken by Grindelwald's acolytes, including Credence Barebone. Later on, Newt, along with his brother Theseus, his American No-Maj friend Jacob Kowalski, Ilvermorny schoolteacher Lally Hicks, French-Senegalese wizard Yusuf Kama, and Newt's assistant Bunty, is given a new task by Dumbledore: cause a distraction to throw Grindelwald off his game. And, that's all I am going to say in terms of plot, because I don't want to spoil anything for those who want to see the movie. 

      Okay, now I feel that I should mention that this movie was plagued by two separate scandals, one of which involved the recasting of the main antagonist, Grindelwald. Unfortunately, due to a set on ongoing legal battles involving Grindelwald's previous actor, Johnny Depp, Warner Bros. requested Depp step down from the role, paid him his salary for what was already filmed prior to his departure, and cast the role with a new actor in Mads Mikkelsen. As far as the legal drama involving Depp is concerned, I have no opinion on that, because I honestly think that any actor should be allowed to keep the personal lives separate from their careers. It's unfortunate that this happened, but it did, and we can't change it. 

        That being said, I honestly think that Mikkelsen was definitely terrific as Grindelwald. Honestly, his performance in this movie was far better than that of Depp in the last Fantastic Beasts movie. If they are able to continue this franchise going forward, I definitely am excited to see more of Mads Mikkelsen as Grindelwald. This movie also establishes that there was a past romance between Dumbledore and Grindelwald. Yes, just as J.K. Rowling revealed years ago, Albus Dumbledore is, in fact, gay, and he was romantically involved with Gellert Grindelwald, and it's officially confirmed with this movie. 

      As far as the other actors, Eddie Redmayne, Dan Fogler, Alison Sudol, Jude Law, Callum Turner, and Ezra Miller were terrific once more. Now, while Katherine Waterston does return towards the end of the movie, her presence as Tina was heavily missed. Additional newcomers that I enjoyed included the likes of Richard Coyle as Dumbledore's brother Aberforth, and Jessica Williams as Lally Hicks. I really enjoyed the dynamic between Richard Coyle and Jude Law as Albus and Aberforth Dumbledore. 

        The visual effects, especially for the magical creatures, was top notch. Once again, I thoroughly felt like I had been transported to the Wizarding World, and I absolutely loved every minute of it. However, I do feel like the series titular Fantastic Beasts are starting to take a backseat to the building story of the impending duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald. As unfortunate as that is, I still enjoyed seeing the magical creatures featured in this movie. 

           One thing that also happens in this movie is that a number of plot threads are given a sense of closure. Two specific ones are the mystery of Credence's true parentage, and the romance between Jacob and Queenie. I definitely feel that these stories got the ending they deserve, and if Warner Bros. decides to end the franchise after this movie, I think that I would be okay with it. However, I think that the only thing that can keep the series going for, at least, one more movie is positive word of mouth. I thoroughly had a good time with this one, and while it's still not the best among the wider Potter franchise, it's definitely a step in the right direction. I'm giving Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore a rating of 4.5/5. This is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)