Review - Death on the Nile (2022)

       Hey guys, Chuck here. Well, I just got home from seeing Kenneth Branagh's new film Death on the Nile, which is the sequel to his 2017 film Murder on the Orient Express. And well, I had a great time watching this movie, and I'm here to share my opinions on it. So, let's go ahead and get started. 

       So, we actually open with a prologue, showcasing Hercule Poirot sustaining a facial injury during World War I, and a nurse that attends him, his lover Catherine, suggests that he grow a mustache to hide the scars. Years later, Poirot has returned to London after finishing a case in Egypt, and he attends a performance from jazz singer Salome Otterbourne. It is here where we meet an engaged couple, Simon Doyle and Jacqueline de Bellefort. Jackie introduces Simon to her childhood friend Linnet Ridgeway, who agrees to hire Simon as an employee. 

         Six weeks later, and Poirot is on holiday in Egypt, where his friend Bouc is as well, and we learn that Simon ended his engagement to Jackie and married Linnet instead, and an upset Jackie has become a stalker. Well, you know what they say: Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Anyway, the newlyweds and a group of guests celebrate the nuptials aboard a ferry, the S.S. Karnak, which will take them along the Nile River. It is during this trip along the Nile River that Linnet is killed, bullet to the head. Murdered. So, who killed her? Who is the one that committed the crime that Poirot must now solve? Well, you gotta see the movie yourself to find out. 

        Okay, so everything that I enjoyed about Murder on the Orient Express, I enjoyed tenfold in Death on the Nile. The acting, the writing, the cinematography, the landscapes, all of it was improved upon in this movie. Director Kenneth Branagh definitely stepped up his game in this movie. I also really enjoyed how engaging the murder mystery was this time around. Now, just like with Orient Express, I have not read the original novel by Agatha Christie, not have I seen any prior adaptation of Death on the Nile, so all of my opinions are from a fresh perspective. 

           The acting, as previously said, was excellent. Returning actors Kenneth Branagh and Tom Bateman were definitely great in their returning roles from Orient Express, and I did appreciate the brief and subtle nod to that movie. As far as the newcomers, everyone was great. Gal Gadot, Emma Mackey, Ali Fazal, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Letitia Wright, Sophie Okonedo, Rose Leslie. All of them were fantastic. The two major standouts for me we're Armie Hammer and Russell Brand. I definitely enjoyed their performances here, and I was utterly stunned by Russell Brand in particular. I also thoroughly enjoyed the performance of Annette Bening as Bouc's mother Euphemia. 

           Overall, this was a well-acted, stunning piece of cinema that is definitely one to see if you enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express back in 2017. I'm giving Death on the Nile a 5/5. Seriously, don't miss this movie. 

        This is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)