Review - The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

          Alright guys, here we go. My review of The Matrix Resurrections, my number one most anticipated new movie of 2021, and I'm here to tell you that it absolutely did not disappoint. Director and.franchise co-creator Lana Wachowski delivered on what I, as a long time fan of The Matrix franchise, was hoping to see. Now, I won't go into specific plot details in this review, because as the quote goes: "No one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself." However, what I will do is give my general thoughts on the movie, and how it answers questions fans had from watching the trailers. 

        Okay, first off, I like the explanation of how both Neo and Trinity were brought back after being killed off during the events of The Matrix Revolutions. The way it's explained makes a lot of sense in terms of the progression of the series, and it's definitely one that I think the fans will appreciate. Also, I like how, in the years since the end of The Matrix Revolutions, things both in the simulation of the Matrix and in the.real world evolved. This is something that, as a film fan, I always look for: evolution. So, many of the new concepts feel like a natural evolution of the world of The Matrix franchise. 

         I will also say that I enjoyed the performances in this movie. Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss are both terrific as Neo and Trinity, and they definitely feel as if not that much has changed between them since we last saw them. I also enjoyed the return of Jada Pinkett Smith as Niobe, as she gave us yet another connection to the previous films. Newcomers like Brian J. Smith, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Christina Ricci, and Yahya Abdul Mateen II were all terrific as well. However, the three biggest stand outs were Neil Patrick Harris, Jonathan Groff, and Jessica Henwick. 

       Now, there can't be good in a movie without some bad. And there are a few things that some may find bad, while others may find just tolerable. I, myself, put myself in the latter category. First, the overuse of clips and nostalgic callbacks to the original three movies. Now, I have no problem with nostalgic callbacks, but there needs to be some amount of moderation. And while there is some moderation, it feels like there's too much reliance on pure nostalgia in this movie. Also, many have criticized the recasting of the characters of Morpheus and Smith from original trilogy actors Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving to newcomers Yahya Abdul Mateen II and Jonathan Groff. I, personally don't mind, as much, if the reuse of clips from the earlier films didn't hammer it in that these are the same characters as before, just with new faces. That being said, however, I do like the way these characters were able to evolve to stand out from the versions from the previous films of the franchise. Especially Jonathan Groff as Smith, he is just completely different from the version Hugo Weaving played that it's pretty cool. 

          Overall, this was a fun, but flawed, return to a franchise I love quite a bit. Hell, I went out as Neo for Halloween when I was thirteen and in the eighth grade. So, yeah, you can call me a fan. As for this movie, I definitely enjoyed it more than Reloaded and Revolutions combined. I give The Matrix Resurrections a rating of 4.45/5. Lana Wachowski definitely made a really good movie. Well, this is Chuck signing off, and I'll see you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)