HallowScream - It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

       Hey guys, Chuck here. Well, it's Halloween day, so it's time to wrap up this year's HallowScream with It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

        This 1966 television special opens with siblings Linus and Lucy heading to the pumpkin patch and picking out a giant pumpkin to carve. When Lucy starts carving the pumpkin, an upset Linus exclaims " You didn't tell me you were gonna kill it!" 

          After the opening credits, we see all the kids getting ready for Halloween, and Charlie Brown excited that he's been invited to a Halloween party. Linus, meanwhile, has a really bizarre Halloween tradition of writing to the Great Pumpkin, a made-up figure that (according to Linus) rises up from the pumpkin patch to deliver toys to all the good little children. So, Linus skips out of trick-or-treating every year to sit in the pumpkin patch and await the arrival of the Great Pumpkin, despite all of the other children telling him that he's wasting his time. 

         So, while Linus sits in the pumpkin patch, the other children get costumes ready for trick-or-treating. Charlie Brown, unfortunately, goes a bit too overboard with cutting holes in the sheet for his ghost costume. So, the kids go out for trick-or-treating, and they talk about all the goodies they get at each house, with Charlie Brown lamenting each time: "I got a rock." Meanwhile, Snoopy has a Halloween adventure of his own while going out for Halloween as a World War I flying ace. 

          The Halloween party goes well, and everyone has a good time. Unfortunately, Sally is angry that Linus made her miss out on trick-or-treating by having her join him in sitting around in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin. Linus stays out throughout the night, until Lucy brings him back home in the wee hours of the morning. The next day, Linus vows that he will prove the Great Pumpkin to be real. 

          Okay, so I will admit that, of the three Peanuts holiday specials that air on television every year, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is my least favorite. Not that I don't still enjoy it, it's just not the best written in my opinion. I do like the idea with Snoopy as the World War I flying ace flying his dog house like a fighter plane, and the Halloween party looked fun. However, I find myself annoyed at the adults giving Charlie Brown rocks instead of candy. Overall, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is a decent special for Halloween, I give it a rating of 4/5. 

            This is Chuck signing off. Happy Halloween, I hope you all enjoyed this year's HallowScream, and stay tuned for the month of November, where in addition to my reviews of new releases like Eternals and Ghostbusters: Afterlife, I'll be diving into the Wizarding world of Harry Potter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)