Review - Artemis Fowl (2020)

    Hey guys, Chuck here. Sorry about not posting a review for over a week, but due to ongoing events in the world, I decided to take a bit of a hiatus. However, I'm back now with a review of Disney's Artemis Fowl. Originally set to be released theatrically, this Kenneth Branagh directed adaptation of Eion Colfer's book series was pulled from its theatrical release due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and was instead given a June 12 release on Disney+. But is the movie worth watching? Well, let's find out as we dig in to Artemis Fowl

    The movie takes place in a world where mystical creatures like fairies, dwarves, and so forth live in the center of the Earth, and the humans pf the surface world are unaware. It is here that we meet young Artemis Fowl II. His father, Artemis I, was taken by one of the mystical creatures named Opal Koboi, a malicious, shadowy figure whose after a relic known as the Aculos. Artemis, after learning of the existence of magical creatures from his family bodyguard, Domovi "Dom: Butler, and that generations of Fowl's catalogued proof of the existence of magical creatures, makes a plan to lure out some of the magical creatures in order to find the Aculos and rescue his father. Among those that are lured out are Holly Short. officer of LEPrecon, as well as Mulch Diggums, a dwarf of large proportions. So, does Artemis retrieve the Aculos and reunite with his father? You'll have to give it a watch to find out.

    One of the few positives I can give to Artemis Fowl is that it, at least, looks nice. Being a Kenneth Branagh film, I definitely expected that. I also liked a lot of the casting, from Josh Gad as Mulch, Colin Farrell as Artemis I, Judi Dench as LEPrecon Commander Root, and so on. I also like the three kid actors in the movie, such as Ferdia Shaw as Artemis II, Lara McDonnell as Holly, and Tamara Smart as Dom's niece Juliet. However, I do feel that, especially for newcomers, the film will be a bit confusing, whilst fans of the book will likely not like it either for multiple deviations from the source material. Honestly, this film, to me felt like Harry Potter meets Spy Kids, and not in the best way. In truth, Artemis Fowl is average at best, only worth maybe a single watch, and only worth a rating of 2.75/5. Honestly, I'm glad that this one was pushed to a Disney+ exclusive, because I don't think my rating would've been quite so generous had I seen this one in theaters. This is Chuck signing off. See you guys next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)