My Thoughts on the 2020 Critics' Choice Awards

          Hey guys, Chuck here. Well, last week I discussed my thoughts on the Golden Globes. So tonight, I thought I'd give my thoughts on another awards show that aired for this evening, and that is the 25th Annual Critics' Choice Awards. The event aired on the CW, and it was hosted by Taye Diggs. There are a lot of winners to get through, so let's get started.

       Much like last week with the Golden Globes, the Critics' Choice Awards for film and television were both presented tonight. But much like the Golden GLobes last week, I'll only be covering the film side of things. First of all, to no one's surprise, Joaquin Phoenix takes home the award for Best Actor once again for his performance in Joker, as does composer Hildur Guðnadóttir for the Best Score award. In addition, the film Parasite takes home the Best Foreign Language Film award, and Quentin Tarantino took home the award for Best Original Screenplay for his film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The award for Best Adapted Screenplay went to Greta Gerwig for the film Little Women. Jordan Peele's Us won the award for Best Sci-Fi/Horror Movie, Dolemite Is My Name won the awards for Best Comedy and Best Costume Design, Toy Story 4 won the award for Best Animated Movie, and Avengers: Endgame won the awards for Best Action Movie and for Best Visual Effects. Surprisingly, however, the award for Best Song ended up as a tie win for two songs: Glasgow (No Place Like Home) from Wild Roses and (I'm Gonna) Love Me Again from Rocketman. Martin Scorsese's film The Irishman won the award for Best Acting Ensemble. The award for Best Director also ended up being a tie, with both Sam Mendes and Bong Joon-Ho winning for their films 1917 and Parasite, respectively. Brad Pitt won for Best Supporting Actor for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Renee Zellweger won for Best Actress for her role in Judy. Sam Mendes' 1917 also won the awards for Best Cinematography and Best Editing. The award for Best Young Actor/Actress went to Roman Griffith Davis for his role in Taika Waititi's Jojo Rabbit. The movie Bombshell won for Best Hair & Makeup, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood won for Best Production Design. But the biggest surprise of all was that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood took home Best Picture. After the Golden Globes last week, I'm going to take a guess that 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Joker are going to be the three films that will split the Academy vote for Best Picture at the Oscars.

         One major issue that people had with the Golden Globes last week was that during his acceptance speech, Joaquin Phoenix a bit too long. Now, he does go a bit long with his speech this week, but not as long as he did last week. The best part is that he received his award at the top of the show, not at the end of the show like he did last week. As for Avengers: Endgame winning for Best Action Movie and Best Visual Effects, I'm really not surprised. After all, I didn't name it my Favorite Movie of 2019 for no reason, I think it was fantastic, and a great way to end out eleven years and 20+ Marvel Cinematic Universe films. I'm also glad that, unlike last week with Missing Link winning the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature, this week a Disney film, Toy Story 4, took home the award for Best Animated Movie, and I think it was well deserved. Toy Story 4 was fantastic, and I hope it's the last one of the series. Eddie Murphy took home the Lifetime Achievement Award, and to be honest, he more than deserved it. Eddie has been so funny throughout his career, and there are a lot of movies he did that I enjoyed.

          As far as the host of the evening goes, I think that Taye Diggs should host more award shows. He is very laid back, but at the same time is very funny and very professional. If not for the Academy deciding to go hostless once again for the Oscars this year, I would suggest that Taye should host the Oscars, but there's always another year. Taye clearly knows how to entertain the crowd, and he was absolutely fantastic tonight. As for the presenters for the Awards, Anne Hathaway was terrific, Seth Meyers was, well, Seth Meyers, Chris Hardwick was 100% Chris Hardwick, and I really enjoyed the likes of Walton Goggins, Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy, Ted Danson, and so many others that I just can't list them all.

        All in all, I enjoyed the Critics' Choice Awards, Congratulations to all of the winners tonight, especially Joaquin Phoenix for Joker, and I'm looking forward to watching the Oscars next month. Well, that'll just about wrap it up for my thoughts on the Critics' Choice Awards. Be sure to keep an eye out for my first Throwback Thursday review of the year this Thursday. Until then, this is Chuck signing off. See you guys next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)