Review - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

        Hey guys, Chuck here. Well, last night I went to see Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the final chapter in the Skywalker Saga. This is it, no more Episode films going forward for Star Wars. We've reached the end of an era, friends. So, here are my mostly spoiler-free thoughts on the movie. Don't worry, only minor spoilers lie ahead, nothing major to the plot of the film.

           First of all, this film was directed by J.J. Abrams, who also directed 2015's The Force Awakens. Originally, Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow was slated to direct, but due to issues with story planning, Trevorrow left the film and J.J. came back to conclude the trilogy he started. As far as the story goes, the film picks up some time after the ending of The Last Jedi, with Rey continuing to train as a Jedi, with Leia acting as her teacher. Kylo Ren, the new Supreme Leader of the First Order, has discovered the location of the Sith homeworld, where Palpatine, the former Emperor of the galaxy, resides. Palpatine tasks Ren with finding Rey and bringing her to him. And that's as far as I'm going with the story of this movie. If you want to know what happens, you'll just have to see the movie for yourself.

         There are a lot of things that I liked about this movie, and a lot of that involves the camaraderie between Finn, Poe, and Rey. John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Daisy Ridley were terrific once again, and it was great seeing them together for a majority of the movie. I also liked seeing the return of some familiar faces from previous films, such as Greg Grunberg as Snap Wexley, who was absent during The Last Jedi, but returns here. Other familiar faces brought back from the Original Trlogy include, of course, Lando Calrissian, played once again by Billy Dee Williams, and Wedge Antillies, played very briefly by Denis Lawson. Seeing these iconic heroes from the Original Trilogy return for this chapter was a terrific way to tie the saga together. Another thing I liked was hearing the voices of past Jedi. I'm not going to give anything away, like which Jedi they are, or the actors behind said Jedi, but I promise, you'll be surprised.

         Now, there is at least one thing I did not like about this movie, and it's really just a nitpick if anything. The one thing I didn't really care for was that we have yet another desert planet in this universe, I mean, come on. Tatooine was one thing, and Geonosis, Jakku, and Jedha were fine, but now we have ANOTHER desert planet? Can't we see another form of terrain? But again, that's really just a nitpick about how many desert planets there are in Star Wars, so it doesn't mean much.

         There's a lot more that I want to say about The Rise of Skywalker, but once again, I really want to avoid major spoilers for the movie. So all I'm going to say is that this one is definitely worth your time. If you're looking for a movie to see with your family during the holidays next week, definitely give this one a watch. I really liked this movie, and I'd say that it definitely is my second-favorite movie of 2019, right behind Avengers: Endgame. I'm going to go ahead and give Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker a rating of 5/5. This is Chuck signing off. I'm glad that I don't have to review any more Star Wars movies for a while, but it's great that I got to do so this month. See you guys next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)