Review - Frozen II (2019)

           Hey guys, Chuck here, and I just got back from seeing the new movie Frozen II. And, well, I have a few thoughts about it.

            First of all, let's start with the story. The movie is set three years after the events of the first Frozen, and a magic force has been awakened. A force that threatens all of Arendelle. Now it's up to Elsa, along with Anna, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven to travel North and save everyone. Along the way, Anna and Elsa learn the truth about the past, and work to right a wrong from the past to save the future for everyone.

            There are a lot of things I like about this movie, and one of those things is that the movie really expands upon the world of Frozen, introducing new ideas and concepts that really feel like they make sense as per the universe this series is set in. I also like the performances of both the returning cast and the new cast members. Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel shine once again as Anna and Elsa, and Josh Gad was hilarious once again as Olaf. I also liked the addition of Lieutenant Mattias, played by Sterling K. Brown. He definitely felt like a character that could have been in the first one, and definitely fits in this world.

            I also really liked the new songs in this movie. In truth, nothing will be as good as the song "Let it Go" from the first Frozen, however I felt that "Into the Unknown" was a great song, and will likely be the breakout song of this movie, much like "Let it Go" was for the first one. Heck, with Christmas around the corner I might even see about getting the soundtrack on CD for myself, I enjoyed it that much.

          Now, I do feel that this one, while an excellent attempt, just didn't capture the genuine surprise that the first Frozen was, and that is certainly true of any sequel. However, while I feel that this wasn't quite as good as the first one, I do feel that, by waiting six years to produce this one, as opposed to striking while the iron is hot and producing a paint-by-numbers sequel that was terrible, I feel that the creative team led by directors Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee did a fantastic job producing a sequel to Disney's highest-grossing animated film of all time. The six-year-gap between movies was just right, and it made the producers of the film put more heart and creativity into it. Quality over speed is always the right move when producing a follow-up to a beloved film like Frozen, and I feel that while those still suffering from what we call "Frozen fatigue" probably won't have their minds changed about it, Frozen II is a sequel that any Frozen fan can appreciate and enjoy. Therefore, I give Frozen II a rating of 5/5. This is Chuck signing off. See you guys next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - The Thundermans Return (2024)

Review - Ocean's Eleven (2001)

Review - Night at the Museum (2006-2014)